David and I are not very good at agreeing upon baby names. A friend solved it for us. Last night we hosted the Cerro Norte committee meeting. A couple of the men were asking me where we were going to have the baby. When I told them which clinic, they said it was a very good clinic, that was the good news, but that it was very hard to get to in a traffic jam. I told them that that could be bad news, because our babies tend to come very quickly, i.e., total labor for Georgie was one hour. One guy laughed and said we were going to have a baby named "Camioneto" (camioneta means van, so Camioneto would be the masculine form of that). And no, we don't know we're having a boy, but everyone thinks so because I'm so big. Well, I'm big by American standards, and by Colombian standards, I'm HUGE.
The comforting thing for me was a story that three people have repeated to me now, apparently told at a recent camp. The guy who preached at the earlier camp David organized is a young guy whose wife is due a few weeks after me. They have a 1 1/2 year old adopted daughter, and this is her first pregnancy. She didn't come to camp with him because the trip would be too hard, she thought. Apparently, her husband was teasing her that I went to the camp and was running around the whole time, playing with the kids and chasing after them, while she goes around holding her hand on her back, moaning about her back. I don't think it's the whole truth, but it made me feel a little better about all the FAT comments people make here. It's a cultural thing, to be fat isn't an insult but a term of endearment, imagine that! Also, to treat pregnancy as just a bit more difficult is pretty common. Traveling is pretty much out of the question for the third trimester. (I didn't ask my doctor, by the way! And we're talking about going back to Villa de Leyva in a few weeks when the girls from Iowa get here. I will be just about 38 weeks, so we are playing it by ear. I have a feeling if I go, we'll have the baby there, and if we don't go, we'll stay here wishing we had gone! Or maybe we'll have little Camioneto. The Lord knows.)
Blog Archive
Friday, May 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment